SUZANNE’S SUMMER POT ROAST
SUMMER POT ROAST
We never think of eating pot roast in the summer, but this version is lighter with fresh tomatoes and baby potatoes! The seasoning couldn’t be easier with my INFUSIO Tuscan Sea Salt Rub!
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4-lb. chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons INFUSIO Tuscan Sea Salt rub
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced
- 1-2 leeks, tops and bottoms trimmed then thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 carrots, chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 3-4 tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped
- 10 shitake mushrooms, coarsely ground in food processor
- 3-4 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Pinch red chili flakes
- 10-15 small red potatoes
Heat a large heavy bottomed pot with lid. Drizzle a little olive oil onto both sides of the meat. Cover generously with INFUSIO Tuscan Sea Salt Rub and a little extra ground black pepper. Add olive oil to the hot pan, then place the meat into the pot. Sear for about 3 minutes, then turn the roast over and brown the other side for another 3 minutes. This helps you create bits on the bottom of the pan. Remove the meat from the pot and set aside.
Add the onions and leeks and saute until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add a little more olive oil if necessary and add the garlic cloves, carrots and tomatoes. Saute another 2-3 minutes. Add the ground mushrooms and saute 1 minute longer. Add the chicken stock and scrape up any bits on the bottom of the pan to intensify the flavor of your sauce. Add a touch of sugar and a pinch of red chili flakes (both optional). Bring to a boil, then immediately turn down the heat to low. Add the roast back to the pot, cover and let simmer for about 2 hours.
Add the small red potatoes and simmer for another 90 minutes, until the sauce is thickened and the meat is fork tender.
Serve in shallow bowls with ladles of the delicious sauce.